Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Newspaper Photo of Me at Age Five
Halloween is hot and muggy here on the Florida Gulf Coast. Shani and I just took a neighborhood walk and checked out all the carved pumpkins on our neighbors' front porches. Most are like us and didn't bother to put out any decorations.

However, we do have candy ready, the kind we like (Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers and 3 Musketeers) in case we have some trick-or-treaters. Kinda sad that very few kids trick-or-treat these days. Last year we didn't have any in this neighborhood, but several young families have moved in over the last year, so we have hopes that a few little ghosts and goblins visit our house tonight. We have an old tape of scary sounds that we're going to play by an open window.

The grandkids did their trick-or-treating last night, because they live in a town that forbids trick-or-treating on Sundays. Sheesh! That makes no sense to me. Halloween is on Halloween. But, of course, no one asked my opinion. Well, our grandson was Scooby Doo (his favorite) and the twins a Lady Bug and a Bumble Bee. I'm supposed to have some photos emailed to me.

As a kid growing up in southern California, Halloween was a big deal. Our elementary school always had a Halloween Festival with lots of good treats. Our neighborhoods were filled with kids and we all went out trick-or-treating. Sometimes I was a witch with my long red hair. Other times a cowgirl, complete with cowboy boots, a cowboy hat and a toy holster with six-guns borrowed from my brother.

My next door neighbors and I would run through our neighborhood at full speed. We'd pass by the dark house with the barking dogs who lived under the house. There was one "old lady" who never opened her door, but always left a basket of ruby-red apples on her doorstep. Most neighbors gave us the usual Candy Corn; Wax Lips, Mustaches and Fingers (yeah, that was a big thing back then); Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Pops and Candy Suckers. The "good places" gave us candy bars. We'd make a second trip back to those houses. The people never complained, just said, "Ah, you kids have been here before."

I remember the very last time I went trick-or-treating. I think I was twelve. Ricky, Debbie and I were cowboy bandits, complete with bandannas pulled over our faces. More than one person said, "You kids are too old to trick-or treat." But they still gave us candy. I believe we enjoyed that particular Halloween more than any other, because that was the last time we went trick-or-treating.

Sometimes my little brother used to trick-or-treat with me. But he usually went off with his own group of friends. I think the very last year he dressed up as a gorilla. Though my mom and brother, who now live together, sometimes have really cool Halloween parties and they and their friends all dress up. Last year mom was a witch with green hair. I don't remember what my brother was for that Halloween.

Funny thing, nowadays people take pictures of their kids in Halloween costumes. Such was not the case back then. Costumes were always home-made and no one bothered to take a picture of us. We just celebrated the day and had a grand time.

There was one particular Halloween of  importance when I was five years old. A kid named Robbie and I had our pictures taken gazing at a huge carved and candlelit pumpkin. One photo made the cover  and another on the reverse inside page of our local newspaper. I still have that page from the newspaper and take it out every now and then to look at it. I had big eyes, ringlets and chubby cheeks, whic I guess was my costume of that year.

When I was sixteen I dressed up for Halloween, just on a whim. A friend of mine, Craig B., was a hippie and I was a teacher with glasses. We went to a friend's house to show off our costumes, but we didn't trick-or-treat.

Twice in my 20s I dressed up for Halloween. The first time I was a witch with glittered eyelids and long glittery fingernails (my own nails, by the way). I went to a local dance club with a bunch of friends. Everyone was in costume. Another time I was a French Maid and went dancing with a girlfriend of mine. It was when I went back to college and the dance was at the college bar and grill. Diane and I got to dance with every hunky guy there.

The very last time I dressed up for Halloween was in New Orleans. My sister-in-law, Loretta, and my daughter and I were all three witches. My husband was a Sheik. New Orleans is definitely a fun place to party on Halloween.

Well, on our walk this afternoon, Shani wore a Halloween bandanna. I guess that's the only "dressing up" that we're going to do this year. We'll have to wait until dark to see if any trick-or-treaters visit our house. If not, we've got some yummy candy to eat. Of course, we'll put the candy in the freezer and eat a piece of it every now and then.

For those who are flying on their broomsticks tonight, Happy Halloween!

No comments: