Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jingle Bells ...

I can't believe it's almost Christmas. Where have all the weeks and days gone? The time seems to be one big blur. However, some things stand out in my memory, like watching the grandkids dancing to "Jingle Bell Rock" and other Christmas songs.

My grandson, Bubba, at 4 1/2 is really looking forward to Christmas. I remember when he asked, "How many more days to Christmas?" and I answered, "21" and he said, "I can't wait that long." Well, somehow those days just zipped past.

Our big Date Palm Tree out in the front yard is sporting Christmas lights. At the base of the tree are three  deer sporting more lights. Then in the bushes next to the front porch my husband added a string of Florida lights: flashing pink flamingos and green palm trees. This is what a Florida Christmas looks like.

Today has been sunny and in the 60s. Now at 11:00 pm it's dropped to 47 degrees. Tomorrow we're expecting the beginning of several days of rain. This is the storm that has deluged southern California with floods and mud-slides and is now dropping lots of snow in Colorado. I'd love to have a white Christmas, the snowy kind, but instead I'll settle for white sandy beaches.

My mom and brother live in Georgia. They're expecting real snow for Christmas. Too bad I can't spend at least part of Christmas day there playing in the snow. However, instead I'll be here in Florida and watching the grandkids excitedly opening their many Christmas presents.

This is going to be a fun Christmas with the twins not quite two and with Bubba still believing in Santa Claus. Tomorrow I'm supposed to help bake chocolate chip cookies for Santa. Last year we baked sugar cookies on Christmas Eve, but Bubba likes chocolate chip the best and thinks that Santa will feel the same way.

Last weekend my grandson and I discussed what we wanted Santa to bring us for Christmas. He wants "Kung Zhu Pets" and the fighting arena and other accessories. He also wants some DS games. I said I wanted a puppy and asked if he thought Santa would bring me one. "Nah," he said, "Santa will tell you, you have to wait." Yep, I think he's right.

Well, I check Petfinder.com every few days to see what puppies are up for adoption in our area. There's been some really cute ones, little Lab mixes, but I've not been quick enough to get one of them. With the Christmas rush, puppies are getting adopted right and left. I guess that's a good thing that they're finding new homes so quickly. On the other hand, those cute little puppies under the Christmas trees will soon be half-grown puppies wildly tearing things apart. So that's when those little cuties will be transported back to the animal shelters in hopes of being re-adopted. I like to think that at least some of them will get to stay in their Christmas homes.

I'll miss my dogs, Maggie and Nikki, this Christmas morning. Maggie always helped with opening the presents. She never bothered the wrapped packages under the tree, but waited patiently to assist when the time arrived to open them. Nikki, on the other hand, would patiently wait for Maggie to open the dog toys. Then Nik would collect all of them just for herself. Maggie and Shani would knowingly look on. They always knew that Nikki would want all the toys.

This year we only have Shani. She's a real sweetie, so I'm glad she's still with us. Come February she'll be nine years old, but don't tell her that. Shani still thinks she's just a puppy. Well, Shani's favorite part of Christmas is keeping guard duty in front of the stove so that no one steals our turkey. She drools now and then, leaving drops of drool on the floor. Obviously, turkey is one of Shani's favorite foods.

Guess I'd better get some sleep. Christmas Eve is almost here. That'll be a big day with the grandkids. We'll bake those cookies, listen to Christmas songs, and read old favorites like The Night Before Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Christmas morning will be even more fun. The twins are getting baby dolls, strollers, dolls beds and a whole lot more. I can just see their blue eyes lighting up. Bubba is getting what he hoped Santa would bring him and then some. I'm sure they'll be three very happy little kids on Christmas morning.

As Santa says, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

No comments: