Saturday, September 18, 2010

ALERT TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A KINDLE

This is an ALERT to anyone thinking about buying a KINDLE. DO NOT BUY ONE! They're great while they work, but when they stop working you're up a creek, even if you have the extended warranty on it. Mine went nuts yesterday and is no longer functioning. So after about an hour on the phone with Amazon and Kindle Support last night, they agreed to send me a new one.

I got the "new" Kindle today. Only guess what?  It's a REFURBISHED Kindle, not a new one. And this one doesn't work at all. So tonight, after another hour on the phone with Amazon and Kindle Support I've been told that the "fine print" on the warranty is that they only send a REFURBISHED Kindle as a replacement and it's not their fault if the REFURBISHED KINDLE doesn't work. They'll just keep sending me REFURBISHED KINDLES until I get one that does work. I said I bought and paid for a NEW KINDLE and that they can either give me my money back or send me a NEW KINDLE that works. They said they can't do that.

Now I paid $189 plus $69 for a two year warranty, and I'm supposed to receive a used, REFURBISHED product and hope that I'll eventually get one that works? Think about it. If it had to be REFURBISHED, then it didn't work in the first place. So why would it work in the 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th or 5th time around? Obviously there's something wrong with their product.

Well, after all the phone calls I was told there's NOTHING they can do for me and I can send the Kindles back, but they WON'T BE REFUNDING ANY OF MY MONEY. That's $258 that I just lost down the drain. What they told me is that it's not their fault that I didn't read the "fine print" before I bought my Kindle.

By the way, the "refurbished" Kindle they sent me not only doesn't work, it looks used and worn out. Why, when I bought a new product would I be satisfied with a used product as a replacement? Also, I read all of the Kindle ad before I ordered mine, including the "fine print" that was in that particular ad. Nowhere did they say they'd replace a "defective" Kindle with a "refurbished" Kindle. What they said was, they'd "replace" a "defective" Kindle. I would never in my wildest imaginings think that meant with a used, "refurbished" product.

So BUYER BEWARE! DO NOT BUY A KINDLE! If you already have one, I hope yours keeps working, because if it doesn't, you're just out of luck!

No comments: