Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Mom, Jean Ruddell

My Mom is Jean Ruddell, that's her "nom de plume" of the moment. To me she's just Mom. Well, she happens to be one of the most interesting and adventurous people I know. I'm sure I got being a Dreamer from her. She's a story teller from way back. Where other kids were read Faerie Tales at bed time, my brother, JR, and I listened to colorful tales told by Mom, tales of when she was a child, or tales of colorful ancestors, because we have a lot of those.

Me as a 2 wk old preemie & Mom at 21
Anyway, after years and years of trying to get Mom to write down those stories so they can be passed down to the grandkids and great-grandkids, she's finally doing just that. The stories are every bit as wonderful as I remember them as a child. And the crazy thing is, those stories are true. It was like having Robert Louis Stevenson or O. Henry as my Mom, because her stories are every bit as good. So be sure to check out her blog "Journeys of a Lifetime" at jeanruddell.blogspot.com.

Now on to the adventurous part. My Mom lived all over the place, in the Philippines; Point Barrow, Alaska;, France; and Kuwait. At the age of 60, following the end of the first Gulf War, Mom moved to Kuwait for ten years and was a journalist for the Kuwait Arab Times. Talk about adventures! Not only did she live in cool, interesting places, she traveled so such locales as Japan, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Turkey, I could go on and on. Though she moved back to the states nine years ago, when she retired at the age of 70, her stories are told as if they happened yesterday. I'll let Mom tell her own stories. So please be sure to visit her blog.

No comments: