Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Building Sandcastles in the Air

I guess we all do this now and then, building sandcastles in the air? Huge, imaginary dreams that we play up there, way high up, and hope that someday they might come true? I think of what it might be like to be "rich." Not wealthy rich, just comfortably rich, where I wouldn't have to count pennies every month.

I often say, "when I win the Lottery" I'm going to do this or that. But I don't even play a Lottery, so that won't ever happen. My husband buys a Florida Lotto ticket every now and then. So maybe he'll win the Lottery? Not likely. But if he does, well, heck, then I guess I will have won the Lottery too?

My husband says that first off he'd buy a red Corvette. I'm thinking more along the lines of a house on the beach. It wouldn't even have to be all that big, just a little roomier than the 1570 square feet we have now, which is a bit cramped with our years of accumulated "stuff" and two dogs. Yep, I'd want a bigger house with lots and lots of windows and a view of the Gulf. Of course, while I'm dreaming here, I don't want any of that oil on the beach or in the water. Yeah, like that oil is likely to disappear completely anytime soon?

While I'm dreaming about relocating that sandcastle in the air down onto some sugar-white sand beach, I guess I would need a new vehicle. I'm thinking more along the lines of a brightly colored H2 Humvee, maybe canary yellow or terracotta orange? I'm really not that much into sports cars. I'm a 4-wheel-drive kind of girl.

Anyway, while I'm dreaming here, how about a boat of some kind? Not one of those high-speed streamlined boats. Nah, just something big enough to tool around in the Gulf with some of my family and friends. I don't want to fish or anything, just to look at the turquoise colored "oil free" water, because in my dream there's no oil out there.

Then ... just to add a little more to my dream, I'd like a little "modern farmhouse" in some pretty spot, say on 20 acres or so, with some horses and cows and pigs and chickens. (My dad was raised on a dairy farm, so I guess the farm thing must be in my genes.) Of course, I'd need to have a bunch of "barn cats" and some big, fat, lazy, house cats too. Oh, and more dogs, definitely more dogs. There are so many out there needing to be adopted, that I'd have to make the rounds of the animal shelters. Hmm! Maybe I need to be dreaming more in the line of 40 to 160 acres instead of just 20?

Oh, and I don't want to forget that both of my houses need to have libraries with lots and lots of shelves full of books. I just couldn't have a "sandcastle" without books. An art studio would be a nice touch too. So I wouldn't have to do my oil painting on my kitchen table?

Okay, so the likelihood of my sandcastle in the air ever becoming reality is unlikely, to say the least. But that doesn't stop me from thinking about it every now and then. In the meantime, guess I need to head down to the beach and build a real sandcastle in the sand?

No comments: